Healthy Cheese Types for Diet and How to Eat Them!
Cheese is a nutrient-rich food containing protein, calcium, and vitamins. However, it’s often perceived as high in calories and fat, making it seem incompatible with dieting. Yet, there are several types of cheese that are low in calories and fat, making them suitable for diets.
Why Cheese is Good for Dieting
Cheese is high in protein, approximately 20-25 grams per 100 grams of cheese. Protein helps increase the feeling of fullness, aiding in overall calorie reduction.
Cheese also contains calcium, which can assist in weight loss. Research indicates that individuals with higher calcium intake tend to have lower body weights.
Additionally, cheese provides essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, vitamin B12, and zinc.
Recommended Ways to Include Cheese in a Diet
For those on a diet, it’s advisable to consume cheese in moderation. Ideally, cheese consumption should not exceed 40 grams per day.
Here are some recommended ways to include cheese in your diet:
Add cheese to salads or soups. Cheese can enhance the flavor and texture of salads or soups.
Spread cheese on whole wheat bread. Cheese can serve as a satisfying and healthy snack.
Enjoy cheese as a wholesome snack. Cheese pairs well with fruits or vegetables
Types of Low-Calorie Cheese for Dieting
Here are several types of cheese that are low in calories and fat, making them suitable for diets:
- Mozzarella: Mozzarella cheese has a soft texture and a rich flavor. It is low in fat and calories, approximately 72 calories per 28 grams.
- Feta: Feta cheese is a salty white cheese from Greece. It is low in fat and calories, about 200 calories per 100 grams.
- Cottage Cheese: Cottage cheese is a soft cheese made from pasteurized cow’s milk. It is low in fat and calories, around 130 calories per 28 grams.
- Ricotta: Ricotta cheese is a soft cheese made from pasteurized cow’s or goat’s milk. It is low in fat and calories, approximately 140 calories per 28 grams.
- Parmesan: Parmesan cheese is a hard cheese made from cow’s milk. It is low in fat and calories, about 30 calories per 28 grams.
- Swiss: Swiss cheese is a hard cheese made from cow’s milk. It is low in fat and calories, approximately 35 calories per 28 grams.
- Cheddar: Cheddar cheese is a hard cheese made from cow’s milk. It is low in fat and calories, about 113 calories per 28 grams.
By selecting the right type of cheese and consuming it in moderation, cheese can be part of a healthy diet for weight management.
The Laughing Cow offers several low-fat cheese products that can be alternative choices to accompany your diet. Some of these cheese options are:
- The Laughing Cow Babybel: With its unique packaging, this cheese has 0.2 grams of trans fat. So, it’s suitable for those who are looking to diet.
- Kiri Cream Cheese: In one serving size of 18 grams, this cheese contains 5 grams of fat and 4 percent of the overall salt content.
- The Laughing Cow Belcube: It has a low salt content, with only 33 milligrams in 1 cube.